KDEPIM 5.0 is the port of kdepim to kf5/qt5.
The porting was started in may 2014. It was a long way because kdepim is not just kmail. It’s based on Akonadi server and all libraries from kdepimlibs.
The first step was to make Akonadi worked against Qt5.
The second step was porting kdepimlibs to make it work with akonadi server and KF5.
The last step was porting kdepim to kdepimlibs.
But we are able to obtain a stable version for 15.08 !
What contains kdepim 5.0 ?
It contains all original applications:
What applications were removed?
KNodes was not ported to KDE4 pure and there is not a maintainer for it. So it was a big work for me if I wanted to port to pure KDE4 and porting after that to kf5
KTimeTracker was not maintains during some years and it was not really a pim application.
KDEPIM-Mobile: it was removed too because it depends against QtQuick1.0 it was not tested in 4.14 so in KF5 it was completly broken. So if some guy wants in the future to have it, it will be necessary to rewrite all.
KMailCVT: it was merged in the application importwizard.
What is news in kdepim 5.0?
- First at all we ported to Qt5/KF5
- New composer for KMail which has search/replace component integrated in composer directly.
contactprintthemeeditor allows to create some grantlee theme for kaddressbook
- KAddressBook allows to send vcard file directly
- Now we can manage IMAP folder which can be show in KOrganizer/KAddressBook.
- Now we can share url on social network (as Facebook/Twitter etc.)
- Add support for texttospeech based on Qt5TextToSpeech (which is not release yet).
- Pimsettingexport has a console program now. (so we can backup from a script directly)
- I merge all setting for email completion in an unique dialog.
- SieveEditor has bookmark support.
- a lot of others features that I don’t remember
- KContacts has full vcard4 support.
- Dan made a big work on Akonadi. He speeded up it a lot. It’s very fast now.
The future is in progress KF5.1 is in development.
We have some new feature:
- Sieveeditor has debug script support implemented based on “sieve-test” application.
- KAddreebook has complement gravatar support
- KAddressbook can display image based on an url
- A lot of optimization was done
- Some obsolete features were removed during Akademy coding session